Creating Collections & Categories
Locating Your Collections
- Log into your Shopify account
- Using the menu on the left hand side of your screen, select 'Products' and then 'Collections'
Creating Your Collection
- You can add a title to your collection, this will display anywhere you add the collection on the website
- You can also add a description to your collection. If the collection is used as a category page then the description will show on the page directly underneath the category title before the products
- You can upload an image to your collection too. If you have a feature row on your homepage that displays your different collections, then this is where the image will display in the image box
- There are two types of collections that you can create: Manual and Automated
- An automated collection uses conditions to automatically include matching products into the collection. When you add a new product to your account and it matches the conditions that you have created then the product will be automatically added to the collection. For example, you can set the type to: Product Title - is equal to - Soap. This will then insert any product with the word soap in the title into the collection.
- A manual collection only includes the products that you individually and manually add to the collection. Because of this, the product stays in the collection unless you add or remove them yourself. Manual collections do take more work to maintain, but they might be right for your business if you have a small collection of products, or if you create specialist collections that you want to personally curate. Manual collection is also ideal if you plan to have a one time flash sale with just a few products involved, then you can up a discount just for those products in that collection.
- If you would like to display your collection on your homepage, make sure you add a photograph for it to display correctly.
- If you are going to use your collection as a category page to your website, then it is always a good idea to complete the SEO section of the page
- Just as you created your product SEO, you can do the same for your collection. Insert the title you would like to display on Google, as well as the description you would like to appear on Google.
- Once your collection is complete, always make sure to save your collection before moving on to your next collection or job
Well done! You've successfully learnt how to add a product to your online store!
If at any point you get stuck and need help, please don't hesitate to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like to organise your collection to display the products you add to it in a specific order, click here to learn how.