Locating Your Discounts
- Log into your Shopify account
- Using the menu on the left hand side of your screen, select 'Discounts'
- Discount Codes: Discount codes are codes that your customers enter during the checkout process to redeem a specific offer. They’re a tried-and-true way to offer discounts to the right people, whether that’s everyone on your email list or a specific segment like new subscribers or repeat customers. Using discount codes can also help you track the success of your marketing efforts. If you’re running multiple campaigns, creating a separate discount code for each can make it easier to see the relative impact on sales.
- Automatic Discounts: Automatic discounts apply to every eligible cart, and customers see them on the cart page before they start the checkout process. It’s a great way to run a storewide promotion on a product, category, or on all of your products without making your customers enter a discount code. Skipping the code can help encourage orders, and speed up checkouts too.
Creating a Discount
- Click 'Create Discount'
Select Your Discount Choice
- Click the discount type that you want to create.
Creating Your Discount
The process of creating a discount code and an automatic discount is very much the same. The only real difference is one has a code, and one does not. For this guide we will create a 'discount code'.
- When you select your discount type a new page will open where you can create your new discount code
- To begin, you need to create the code that your customers will enter into their checkout - this can be a code of your choice, or you can generate a code
- You then need to select which type of discount you would like to create, a percentage discount, a fixed amount that your customer will receive off their total order, free shipping, or a Buy X and get Y (Buy one get one free)
- Under the 'value' section, enter the discount amount you want to offer to your customers - the 'value' section will change depending on which type of discount you choose to offer
- You can then select whether the discount you have chosen will apply to your entire order, specific collections, or specific products
- You can set the requirements that need to be met for your customers to be eligible for the discount
- You can also set who is eligible for this discount, whether it is for everyone, specific groups of customers, or specific customers that have been stored in your customer base
- You will also need to set the usage limits, which is how many times a customer can use the discount
- Finally, set the date you want your discount code to be available from - this is useful because it enables you to create discount before an event begins so that you are prepared for the day and not needing to set up any discounts on the day of the event
- Press 'save' and you're done!
If you need to go back and edit your discount at any point, you can do so by navigating to the discounts section of your menu and selecting the specific discount to edit. To create a new discount simply repeat this process.
Well done! You've successfully learnt how to set up a discount!
If at any point you get stuck and need help, please don't hesitate to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org