Post Launch Tips
Congratulations on successful launching your website! Now that your website is live, it's time to start encouraging your audience and customers to use your website instead of your current method of selling. Here are some ways to get started.
Note: This guide will reference your Etsy store, but no matter what avenue of sales you used before you can use the same principles and guides to make the most of your website.
- Insert your website address into your Instagram bio - This is an easy way to point your customers straight to your website instead of your current store. This works well with both your current customers that connect with you via Instagram and new customers that find you through Instagram.
- Set up an Instagram Store - Setting up an Instagram store is becoming one of the best ways to encourage your audience to shop through your website. Not only is it one of the best ways, but it is also one of the easiest ways. People love simple and easy shopping methods and your Instagram store is exactly that. So, if you have ever lost a customer from laziness on their end, then you won't anymore.
It's highly likely that you upgraded your business to a website to move away from an online selling platform such as Etsy, but before you stop using your Etsy store completely - you can take advantage of it. Here's how:
- Make announcements through Etsy - You can use your store banner, your shop photo and your email signature to announce different reasons for your customers to use your website. For example, to start with, you can use it to announce your website address, then you can announce that there are better prices on your website and a larger selection. This works well because if a customer finds your products via Etsy they are then encouraged to go to your website instead of making their purchase through Etsy. It can be as simple as saying "Check out our new website for better prices and even more products: www.yourwebsite.com".
- Start raising your prices on Etsy - This encourages your customers to make their purchases via your website and explore different products that you have available, rather than using Etsy. Make sure you raise your prices on Etsy though and not lower them on your website. That way if a customer still decides to make an order through Etsy, and not your website, then you are still making a better profit and therefore making your money back from the fees Etsy charge you. If you choose to use this method then be sure to make your customers aware that your prices are lower/better on your website - otherwise they may presume your prices are just high and could be put off from ordering with you.
- Remove your unpopular items from Etsy - If there are products on your Etsy store that do not gain much attention and that you make very little sales from, then remove them. You're paying for each of the listings on your Etsy store, so if a listing isn't making you a profit - remove it.
While it is good to use Etsy to your advantage, you cannot stop a customer from completing a purchase on Etsy to redirect them to your website if they have already started the order. Doing so would be in violation of Etsy's Policy as it is classed as 'Fee Avoidance'.
It is recommended to keep your Etsy store open during this transition and to only close it once you reach a point where you are no longer making any sales through it, and only selling through your website.
That being said, if you are happy to keep your Etsy store open then I recommend that you do. Why? Simply because Etsy is used as a search engine on a daily basis by millions of people. By keeping your Etsy store open, with all of the methods in place that we have discussed here, you can continue to redirect customers to your website. At the moment, if a customer does not find you through your social media account they can find you through Etsy. So, instead of removing a marketing technique/avenue that works, keep it and take advantage of it.
By using your Etsy store to your advantage, and by using your social media channels to promote your products, you will be heading in the right direction to running a very successful business.
Congratulations and best wishes!